WOW! It's been forever since I've checked in and it feels good to be still enough to have the time to catch you all up on the craziness that's been our home. Besides training for my new job, it seems like we've either been traveling every weekend or had company for the last 5 weeks. With Luke's business travel schedule that can be kinda brutal - he barely gets home and unpacks his suitcase then repacks it for the weekend. But it's been a good summer. We had a fantastic vacation in California, spent time with Luke's family in Nebraska at the "Brother's Reunion", Wichita for Ciara's 18th birthday celebration, and Salina and Wichita for Ciara's car shopping. I guess you could say that there has been lots of transitioning going on here.
Work transition: It's been 4 years since I've worked outside the home. I've enjoyed the free time earlier this summer after the sale of my soap business. I'm glad I had some quality time with the kids before I started my new job. I went through new employee orientation on August 3rd and then began training after that. My title is "secretary" - and I work in the radiology department at the hospital and at the front desk at the outpatient center where they do mammos, dexas and ultrasounds. I really enjoy the work and so far the people are great. I think I'll like it there... just a little overwhelmed right now with all the training and working so many hours. My normal schedule begins the middle of September after I experience the "baptism by fire" when I fill in for the full time secretary at the outpatient center so she can go on vacation. Pray for me that I can handle it ok? :)
Child/adult transition: Our beautiful daughter is 18! Can you believe that? She is without a doubt transitioning as she's now considered a "legal adult". YIKES. :) She begins college classes at FHSU on Aug. 24th. While she still lives at home (for her freshman year), she is learning about paying her own way. She was rather astonished to learn the price of hair products, cosmetics and other various sundries and personal items. She worked hard this summer as a waitress at Golden Corral and is glad to be done with that strenuous job. She is now working as a staff assistant on campus ad FHSU and likes it so far. I believe this has been a valuable experience for her and has enabled her to appreciate a little help from her parents once in a while. She'll do well in college, high school never really was her thing. This is what she's been working so hard for and I'm really excited for her, though it seems incredibly unbelievable that my baby girl is all grown up!
Car transition: Brandon is driving. AARRRGHH!!! ha ha, he'll do fine I'm sure, just scares momma to put him on interstate 10 miles every day for school. It's good that he is able to drive himself though I guess. Ciara has sold her '95 Chrysler Cirrus to her (big) little brother. He is delighted to have his own set of wheels... best of all those wheels are paid for because of his hard work last summer and the money he was able to stash away. So he won't have to keep up with a work schedule his sophomore year and will just be able to concentrate on his school work. What a relief! We did the car shopping thing with Ciara and after walking in 104 degree weather and 30 mph winds for a whole saturday, she was able to make a sweet deal on a 2005 Sebring convertible. She wasn't really looking for a convertible, but it ended up being a good deal as she talked the sweet Grandpa salesman down $1,500 on the price of the vehicle!! I was proud. A not so pleasant experience with our car shopping was the intoxicated salesman at notorious Wichita dealer. We narrowly escaped the dangers and creepiness of this fellow and moved on. I did call the sales manager there later to report the drunk salesman, and interestingly enough - he had already been "sent home". Weird. So... the kids have transportation for school. I'm so thankful, and... I will be doin' lots of praying for their safety.
Hubby's travel transition: My poor, dear husband has been doing so so much traveling. It's been a bit of an adjustment for us all. Sadly, we are used to him traveling nearly weekly - but it seems he's been gone even more lately and not only car travel - but plane travel as well. He is perpetually exhausted. I seriously don't know how he does what he does and how much longer he can keep up this routine. When he's done working for the day he works some more... and is on his computer sometimes until after 11 p.m. They have lots of new large accounts they're working on that demand his time. He is feelin' it, and we're all just hoping that there will be some relief for him in sight sometime soon! I'm so proud to be married to a man that is willing to do whatever it takes to provide for his family, he really is amazing!
School transition: This year Brandon will be alone at the high school - no more sis looking out for him and taking him everywhere he needs to go. This will be a tough transition for him, yet it gives him an opportunity to stand on his own. Ciara will have to go it alone on the FHSU campus as well. Her closest friends have left for college in towns hours from here and she is facing the inevitable... new friendships when she gets to school in just a few days. I think it's exciting for them both, even though I'm pretty sure they think it's a bit scary. It's gonna be a good school year! I think I'm ready!
Isn't that just about enough change? *smile* Can't do anything but embrace it, right? I think it's all in the perspective and I'll be delighted to see what God's gonna do with all this! To everything there is a season - this should be a fun one.
I'm leaving you with some photos of all I've shared, hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed being part of them all. I'll put together a few California pix soon, there's just so many to sort through and they're ALL my favorites! :)
Birth Story
14 years ago


3 comments:
Wow! You have been busy! I hope Ciara loves college. I'm glad you like your new job too! I heard that your Birthday is coming up, so I wanted to go ahead and wish you a very Happy Birthday! I hope it's a great one!!
I can't even believe this is your life now. Ciara is magnificent and holy crap Brandon is man-boy. What the honk? I am amazed and honored to know you and your beautiful family. Thank you for this update and for the photos. I am so glad to catch up and to know what is transpiring in all your lives. I am still kind of sad about Luke and all the time away, but I know there is a reason and time for that as well. You look so great in your scrubs. I hope your time there is well spent and that you find yourself in solid friendships that you enjoy. I love you Jami and I miss you.
Hi Jami,
Hey, I have sure missed you in blogland! I miss your humor, and your stories. But you have been so busy,...so I understand!
So many changes in your life,...WOW! I am not good with changes,...but we all have to accept change at some point huh? (smile)
To everything there is a time and a season for every purpose under heaven!
We just got home from a week in Branson with Lynnette, Kyle and the kiddos. We had a great time.
Blessings to you from above my friend.
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits
Post a Comment