This was the name of my bible study lesson this morning. I had an interesting time chewing on this one. The author gives this verse before the study even begins:
"He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not." Isaiah 53:2-3 NIV
I find it interesting that scripture says Jesus wasn't beautiful in the eyes of man so that people would be drawn to him only by his spirit, not his physical beauty. I am so humbled by that. I want for people to be able to say, "wow she is a beautiful person" not because of what they see when they look at me, but because of the KIND of person I am. I want others to see a beautiful heart. The world is such a cruel place soemtimes, so much importance is placed on physical beauty but the bible says "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7) Thanks for that God!! In a world full of skinny, large chested, blonde haired girls with orange tans - God says that I'm beautiful because he looks at my heart, not my physical appearance. Really what he thinks of me is all that matters when you get down to it - so that takes a load off. I think trying to look your best is alright, but obsessing about your looks or your size just to impress others is pointless. I sometimes wonder why people are surprised that we have so many young women with eating disorders - when such an emphasis is placed on looking like celebrities or super models.
I get annoyed (down right indignant, actually) when I hear people put down others because of their size or their color. It may be hard to believe, but I actually know people that do this. Love a person for who they ARE, not what they LOOK LIKE. To make reference to a black person in a negative way (as if they can help what color their skin was when they were born!) It's just sick and wrong. I wanna scream to that person, "what makes you superior!!??" Surely not their "white" skin. I guess I would have to say that God is color blind. He just doesn't care if we are green, white, black red or fuschia. We are made perfect in Christ and he will love us regardless of all the imperfections that the world is so ready to list about us.
Anyway... I get really fired up about the subject of discrimination and racism - but whenever I have the opportunity I share my 2 cents with the people I feel I can share it with, as for the others... I pray that I would actually muster up the courage one day to stand up to them and open up their eyes to the truth, and the truth is this: God loves us exactly the way we are. We don't have to change our hair, bleach our skin, get rid of our glasses, lose 50 pounds or even try to zap our zits, he loves us "as is." Afterall... he made us and "God doesn't make junk". He says that we are "fearfully and wonderfully made." He would know, he's the one responsible!
I'm thankful for this study today, because it's always good to be reminded that our worth should not be measured by the world, but by God. Afterall, he's not looking at my clothing size or what brand of shirt I'm wearing... he's looking at my heart. I can't begin to understand God's unconditional love, but I'm so thankful for it!! The author finished the study with this statement: "I pray when we look in the mirror, we will learn to see what God sees and love who He loves."
Indeed! :) I just want you to know... YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!
Birth Story
14 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment