Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Move, A Funeral, and Pound Plunge

Things have been rather eventful around here. It was nice to have last week just to rest and recover from the rough week before. I know I've posted on my anxiety about "baby girl" moving out for college... but the day finally came. Ciara moved into one of the dorms on campus on Monday, Jan. 11th.

My girl at "HER place"

It was quite a process going through 2 closets and sorting through all the stuff she's dragged around for the last 18 years. I couldn't help but get teary when I discovered things like the diary that she wrote in after her best friend (pet cat Dollia) was put to sleep. It was heart wrenching as she poured her heart onto these pages about the pain and loss she felt when she had to say goodbye to her kitty. There were also photos of old boyfriends, clothes that never got worn or were worn out, and lots more! We hauled off 3 large bags of trash and a couple boxes of items for Goodwill. She gave some fun things to her little cousin Abbi who reacted as if she'd won the lottery! So the big day finally came and we loaded up the Luke's Tacoma and the entire back of Trailblazer. It all fit! Yay! We made it in one trip. Thankfully the weather cooperated and it took us only about 2 hours to get everything moved in. Luke went back to work and Ciara and I got busy setting up her room. She is in a double with no room mate so she has a bit more space. The room is super cute and she was pleased with it all (except for community bathrooms) About 6 or 7 hours later I hugged my grown daughter and headed back home. I think I was too tired to really think about what this all meant when I got the call from Mom.

As I traveled back to the house I got a call from Mom. Grandma wasn't doing well... again. We had been through this half a dozen times before. We knew that Grandma was going downhill fast with her Alzheimers, but I just don't really think anyone would have guessed even a couple months ago that we would have to say goodbye so soon. Grandma fought... but took her last breath Monday, January 11th at 11:15 p.m. So I moved my daughter out of the house, then received news of Grandma's passing all in the same day. I don't really think I had the opportunity to process all this. The rest of that week was a blur. Of course Ciara didn't wanna be at the dorms by herself with the sad news and all the family gathering - so she came home and stayed. We hosted my cousin's family and my brother's family for the funeral and spent lots of quality time with extended family. It was hard to say goodbye to Grandma, but good to reconnect with family we hadn't seen in so long. I pray that with Grandma gone this family will tighten up long term and enjoy one another. If the family stays close that would really honor Grandma's memory, so I hope we can all make that happen.

The Wolf Grandchildren - well, most of us. :)

So the same week as all this was going on - pound plunge began. This is a city wide program with the purpose of dropping pounds. Teams of 4 are formed and everyone gets serious about losing weight and being healthy - then we weigh in individually once a week. Stress and funerals aren't great for weight loss, so I really only began my process the following week. According to my scale I've lost close to 5 pounds last week - but for some reason (the scales not all being calibrated the same at weigh in?) they said I only lost just under 3. Oh well... a loss is a loss and my total is now at close to the 10# mark. I had already begun healthy eating and exercising a couple of months prior to pound plunge so I feel like that helped. It's hard to say "I better not" when someone wants Freddy's Frozen Custard. UGH. I can still have things like that in small doses once in a while - but yesterday was Sugar's birthday

Shoogie ready to "blow out her candles and eat that puppy cake!

and I ate a cupcake (a chocolate human type one) and scoop of vanilla ice cream so that was it for me for the week. It's strange how you train your brain to calculate that kinda stuff and make good decisions about what not to eat. I really think I've finally found a good method with the Mayo Clinic Healthy Eating Pyramid (http://www.mayoclinic.com/ ) No restrictions on food, only quantities. I like it.
Well...it's about time for bed and tomorrow is another work day, so I spose I should close for now. Please pray for college girl as she learns to live on her own and also as she has started seeing someone new. (they're not calling it dating yet) My guess is that spending time with a certain cute guy will make her adjustment just a bit easier. ;)
Until next time...

4 comments:

Aub said...

Yay Ciara, hopefully it's a good guy. Jami, I say no all the time at work when they go get Pop or McDonald's breakfast or whatever. You just have to do it! It sucks but you'll survive. I'm trying to eat less. I am a big piggie so eating less is a good thing. I don't necessarily need to lose weight but I do have a belly, I'm always sucking it in so no one knows (kinda like Luke's when he pushes it out...it feels better to let it hang out). I think it comes from slouching honestly so I don't know if I try to sit straight more if that would help or what. Anyways, sorry again for the loss of your Grandma. I know how that is, it's only been 1 year since my grandpa's passing and it's tough still!

Jami said...

Hi Jami,

Sorry to hear about your Grandma...my own decided to spend Christmas with Jesus back in '07. Sad, but happy at the same time.
I thought about your college age daughter....my youngest just turned 10 (double digits!) and I immediately thought of how soon that college day would come now. I empathize with you, but isn't it nice to see them grow up to be such awesome young ladies??
Good luck with your weight loss..I blogged frequently about weight at one time. It led to a major lifestyle change and a 20 pound loss! I have about 10 to go, but if I don't lose them, oh well! I no longer let it hold me hostage. I'm glad you're blogging again. Your posts are a joy!!

Bless you!

Anonymous said...

puppy birthdays are always a nice way to cheer up for the week. my first pup passed away the same weekend as my grandmother three years ago (that was a horrible horrible weekend). since then ive gotten a new puppy and in a couple of months will be celebrating his second birthday. im thinking about getting him one of these cute birthday cake toys Thanks for following us! We hope to be helpful whenever you need a gift or gift giving inspiration. http://www.gifts.com/ i'm not really into giving my dog human food, so a birthday cake toy will have to do!

Marci M. said...

Hey, Jami,
What a doozy of a week you had...and all with the big events on one day. You are grieving change and loss. Don't be too hard on yourself with the weight loss stuff either. Of course, losing weight and eating more healthily makes a person feel better, but be sure to give yourself grace during this tough time. God bless and guide you.