Ok.. this may sound kinda mean, but it's oh so funny! My almost 16 year old daughter has a friend that is a guy. They love to chat about the most ridiculous things and he is a fairly intelligent, and fun conversationalist. The problem is that he would love to date her, but she just wants to be friends. (Even though he is a cute kid). Ok... so in this wonderful age of technology he asks her out on a date via text message. Here's how the conversation goes:
The guy: "I'm looking for a woman to take to a movie tonite"
Witty daughter: "Have you tried Live Links or the Personal Ads?
The guy: "I meant you... you should go with me"
Just for those of you who haven't seen the commercial, Live Links is a personal dating service company where you call in and meet people and talk to them over the phone. The commercial is ridiculous and usually has some scantilly dressed young girl having the time of her life talking to a complete stranger. So of course witty daughter is just being silly... but he proceeds to beg her to go with him. She says something about not leaving the house because she has a nasty cold sore. As luck would have it, it's a midnite movie. She tells him that her parents wouldn't let her leave the house at midnite and he tells her to sneak out. She says "NO WAY! besides, you know I'm a good girl" He pauses, then asks her, "why are you a good girl?" Here's the best part - her response is:
"I don't want to disappoint God or my family." YAY!! This opened up a huge conversation about faith and the bible. She shared the truth with him, I'm pretty sure he hasn't ever heard it. She was very honest and open about it and he was interested. Not sure if he completely understood or believed it all, but he listened and she shared.
Praise God for getting it right as a parent. Apparently somewhere along the line her Dad and I did something right. She is such an awesome young woman and I was sure to tell her how proud I was of her for being so bold.
Birth Story
14 years ago
2 comments:
I like your blog...it is a good thing you told us that the picture wasn't you I would have mistaken it for you otherwise...hehehe. Love you Jami, it is a nice reward when your children actually behave and think the way you taught them.
Yay for you and Luke. I am so super excited about Ciara. I got your letter the other day...still working on the reply. Miss you.
Post a Comment