Friday, July 27, 2007

Sleep



Why is it that the more we sleep, the more tired we are? My teenagers have been the sleepiest things this summer... I have no idea how they can sleep that much, but somehow they do. If they go to bed at midnight, they want to sleep till at least 10 a.m. because "they're tired." If they go to bed at 10:30 pm and get up at 7 a.m. - "they're tired" cuz they had to get up so early. Both of them have been having trouble getting to sleep at nite, then sometimes they even wake up in the middle of the nite or really early a.m. and it takes them a while to get back to sleep. One day last week, Ciara got to bed late, slept in until about 9 or so... then napped in the afternoon. You guessed it... she couldn't sleep at nite so she was tired again the next day. (Dejavu from when my babies had their sleep schedule all mixed up!)

It's a vicious cycle. I've got to figure this sleep thing out. Here is my my motherly assessment. The kids are tired because they aren't doing anything. The more they lay around, the tired-er they get. :) Maybe I have the solution... MORE CHORES!

Yay... I love it when I'm a problem solver. ha ha.

I think I'll put out a survey on sleep... I'd love to hear what you have to say about the subject. *smile* Please participate ok??!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like when I was younger during the summer, I slept in maybe half the time but usually I had to go to work! I know I worked at Taco Shop around 7:30 because I was prepping stuff (grating cheese, making beans, making rice, making salsa Fresca, setting up stations, etc). But other days, when younger, I was up and raring to ride my bike or play in our huge sandbox that dad made for us. Ah, to be young again!

Heather said...

I think you are right. If they work and then get to bed at a normal time they should sleep better. Works for me. I know when my kids can go outside and play or work they are really ready for bed at the normal times as opposed to when they have just watched tv or layed around the house. Then there is something about being a teenager that requires more sleep so I guess you have to find a happy medium.