I went to my opthalmalogist appointment yesterday and even though the office experience wasn't good - the outcome was. (Thank you all for your prayers, and thank you Lord!) I'll spare you the details of the 2 1/2 hour visit where I spent a total of maybe 10 minutes with the doctor.
He told me that I DO NOT have papilledema - what I have is "Optic Nerve Drusen" Drusen are little white protein deposits on the optic nerve. This condition is often hereditary, so it's possible that my parents or my kids may even have it. There is no known cause or cure. Namely, this condition doesn't cause any real problems, though it is often mistaken for papilledema (which is a far more serious condition)When I go for my regular eye doctor visits and he does visual fields testing, they will be a little wacky because of the drusen. Apparently, over time the drusen can get larger, and eventually may cause some peripheral vision loss, but not central vision loss. So... thankfully, my vision should not be affected much by this condition. In very rare cases, optic nerve drusen can interfere with blood flow in the eye and cause bleeding, but I'm not too worried about that since the doc said not to be. The exciting thing about this diagnosis is that I do not have to have a spinal tap, I don't have any tumors, I don't have MS - I just have an eye condition that has no known cause, can't be prevented or cured, but shouldn't cause me too many problems.
From here we are going to monitor in 3 months and make sure there's no change and then just keep an eye on it. The doctor said if there is change that he would probably give me some eye drops to take. Since there is no cure for optic nerve drusen, he said he feels like he should do "something" if my condition worsens - and he would treat it like glaucoma to hopefully keep the condition from advancing - but there is no known treatment. I can live with that. Finally.... I know what's going on with me and I'm relieved. Now... let's get Luke's broken leg healed and we're in business! :) Thanks again for your prayers, I know God is honoring them. The outcome of my "issue" is proof! God is so amazing.
Update on Luke:
His appointment went well, the dressings were removed and the incisions look "good" (according to the surgeon) - I think seeing metal staples in human flesh is a bit oogy... but that's just me. The doc says that even though the bones really haven't begun to mend themselves back together yet, not to worry cuz it's only been 10 or so days, and this will likely take about 6 weeks. He said that the bones are staying straight with the rod and that's a good thing. Overall, the surgeon was very pleased and will see him back on the 19th to remove staples. No more saran wrap showers, woo hoo!! :) Luke is getting around well with the crutches and getting antsy already to get rid of them - but no weight bearing until about Christmas, and no driving until MAYBE after Thanksgiving sometime. He said we'll have to see how he's doing and then decide when he's ready to be in a car for 3 hours with his leg not elevated. Overall - things are ok and each day improving just the tiniest bit. We'll take whatever progress we can get! :)
Birth Story
14 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment