Monday, January 7, 2008

Puttin' some miles on this "baby"!


We're now more than 8 weeks into the healing process since Luke's accident. It's been a long row to hoe so far and as his wife, it's been really hard to watch him struggle with crutches and his enormous, swollen foot. He has cut back on the pain meds and is trying to get off of them all together. He is out of the walking boot and back into some "normal" shoes - of course the swelling is so bad that we've had to purchase some bigger, roomier shoes to get him through to total healing. The doctor says that the swelling is normal and that it could take up to 6 months before the swelling stops. He feels a little discouraged by that, because whenever he's on his feet for any amount of time he swells up terribly and has to get his feet up with ice.

Right about the first of the year I went out and purchased for my dear hobbly husband, a snazzy metalic blue and black walking cane. As you can imagine the kids are having the time of their life teasing him about being an old man, etc., and he's enjoying whacking them with his cane just for fun. :) He's actually doing very well with it, I'm pretty proud of his determination. I guess since he's already making plans to scramble through airports independently for his work... he thought maybe he ought to press on toward walking without assistance. The doctor told him that putting some weight on the leg will actually help accelerate the healing process. Hard to believe, but surprisingly it appears to be working as he is getting stronger every day and beginning to do more and more for himself. This is good!I think he feels good too, even though he somewhat enjoyed being waited on, he is happy to be able to make himself a pot of coffee, shower without the shower chair and so many other things that the rest of us take for granted every day. Thank you all for your prayers that I KNOW have gotten him this far, and please don't quit prayin'... his goal is to walk without crutches or cane by the end of the month!

1 comments:

Marci M. said...

And I thought my bunionectomy some years back was painful. I feel for Luke! Ouch. So glad for the strides he's made. I rejoice and praise God with you - our Great Physician. We'll pray the rest of his recovery goes without incident and is quick and thorough. Blessings!