Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!



As I write this there are 4 hours and 24 minutes left of 2007. I just can't believe how quickly the time flies!I can hear the music coming up from the basement, the kids are having a New Year's party with their friends, so far it's pretty tame - they're playing Guitar Hero on Play Station2. There's lots of food and from what I understand there will be games and movies going on later. Good bunch of kids so I'm not too worried - I'd sure rather have them in my home having a good time than out and about.

So... 2007 was a bit of a rough year for our family, our prayer is for a "less eventful" 2008. I'll try to recap this last year...

January 2007: Ciara began traveling with the Forensics team.(Drama)She didn't really have a fabulous year in forensics, but is excited that it will be starting up soon and she's thinking she'll have a better year. After a long battle with emphesyma, Luke's stepdad, Harry passed away. We were comforted by the fact that Harry was a believer in Christ and we knew that his suffering was ended and he was with his Savior. We traveled to Gregory South Dakota for the funeral. It's been especially hard on Luke's Mom, but she is an amazingly strong woman.

***** took a break from bloggin' to go play a few games of Sequence with Luke, I'm back at 11:15 p.m. - 45 minutes until 2008!! *****

February 2007: We looked for a retail location in Hays to open a Jinny Crickets store. There were simply no buildings that were suitable, so after much contemplation and prayer, we decided to give up on the idea for now. Ciara was a candidate for Snoball princess at her high school's winter formal.

March 2007: Uneventful

April 2007: Brandon turned 13 and Luke and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary.

May 2007: Ciara took 2nd place in the EHS IDOL competition at her school and Brandon was chosen by the graduating 8th grade class to usher at their graduation ceremony.

June 2007: We trekked to West Point, Nebraska for the wedding of my cousin Travis to his bride Angela - it was fun! We headed down a day early and enjoyed a day in Omaha at the Henry Doorly Zoo, it was a blast. The kids don't really remember having been there before since they were so little the last time we visited it. What a cool place... we'll definitely go back. Ciara and her boyfriend broke up in June, which made for a tough summer for her (and therefore, the rest of us) - they have since gotten back together and will have been dating for a year this February.

July 2007: Fairly uneventful... we did enjoy the big fireworks display in Hays and some homemade ice cream when we got home.

August 2007: We picked up Tina, our German student, from Mid-Continent Airport in Wichita, she will stay with us through the end of the school year. So far this has been an exciting adventure. Brandon and Ciara were both chosen to be a part of the student leadership teams at their school.

September 2007: Ciara was elected treasurer of the SADD group. (Students against destructive decisions) Tina played on the Freshman volleyball team and we spent our days at games and running back and forth to practices. I went in for a regular eye exam and discovered what appeared to be papiledema (swollen optic nerves). This was scary, as it could be an indicator of something serious such as brain tumor.This began a series of tests and appointments to try to figure out what was wrong with me. UGH!Floyd Kelly, Grandma Wolf's friend/companion of 15 years passed away. He was a sweetheart of a man and will be missed terribly. Even though he had moved away to another nursing facility to be closer to his family, Grandma had a hard time accepting his death. With her alzheimers progressing, it is harder all the time to deal with. She is so forgetful and it's hard to see her like that, since it's impossible to rationalize with her.

October 2007: Tina had a part in the school play, and we once again drove back and forth to practices. It worked out alright though, since Brandon began taking Tae Kwon Do and it conveniently took place on the same days as play practice. The Wolfs welcomed a new family member... little Wyatt James was born to my brother Jarrod and his wife Gina. He's precious!

November 2007: Luke broke his leg in the Home Depot parking lot, (see previous posts)and went through surgery. The road to recovery is a long one! I praised God when I found out from the Opthalmologist that I don't have Papiledema, but rather a condition called Optic Nerve Drusen (see previous posts)I was so relieved to find out that I would be ok and I could quit all the worrying and expensive testing.

December 2007: We had a wonderful Christmas! I can't believe it's already over. Luke is still on crutches, but regaining strength in his leg. Today he began walking with a cane, and that's pretty exciting. According to the surgeon, he should be back on his feet and getting around pretty well by Feb. 2nd. You know Luke... he is pushing and is determined to be walking again before that 3 month time frame. I just hope he doesn't overdo it.

***** It just got really noisy downstairs, as the ball dropped in time square - we were all watching it on Fox... gotta go get some fun photos of the kids with their confetti, horns and silly string. Will post those photos later. :) *****

So.... now it's been 2008 for 48 minutes. We are looking forward to what the new year brings. I can't believe at this time next year Ciara will be approaching her high school graduation and Brandon will be nearly through his Freshman year of high school. Tina will be back with her family in Germany. I pray that your 2008 will be blessed!

0 comments: