My walk down memory lane comes early this week. Today marks the 8th anniversary of my Grandma Fisher's death. I can't even express how much I miss her. After my parents married, they purchased a single wide mobile home and parked it in the side yard at my grandparents house, our front door opened up to the lilac bushes that Grandma loved so much, and that I love and remember her by. As a baby I spent a lot of time with Grandma Fisher. Whenever Mom and Dad went out, I stayed with Grandpa and Grandma, or when mom was busy and I was being a pain, she would hand me off to Granny. Grandma kept all of us kids, anytime our parents needed a sitter - she never complained about keeping her grandkids - to her it was a joy. I honestly don't really know how many years we lived out there, but I know that as a toddler and a very young girl I loved living there. I remember catching fire flies and playing with kitties, helping Grandma pick blackberries or veggies from the garden. When we picked blackberries we would turn over a bucket or a coffee can and sit on it, I thought that was pretty neat. I liked to eat the berries while we were picking! I also thought it was great when she let me pump the water to quench the garden. When I was a little older she took me on walks down the chalk road and we would pick mulberries and bring them home, then I would help wash them and she would bake a pie. I always loved that when there was crust left over she would roll it out and butter it then sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar. Oh my goodness... they were so yummy!! Grandma also took me and my cousins fishing down at the creek and we fished with bamboo poles. I loved spending time with Grandma. She was the best cook... and she passed a lot of her recipes and cooking methods down to me directly and also through my mom - who taught me even more. Gotta love that German food. MMM HMM ... can you say dumplings?!
This is me as a little bug... about 4 years old and sitting on Grandma's lap - you can tell from her smile how please she was with herself for growing a 15 pound canteloup. :)
I almost cropped myself out of this photo because I look so creepy... but I love Grandma's smile in this picture. This is the smile I saw every time she greeted me when I visited her out at the farm, or when she came around the corner from the kitchen. That's how I remember her. She was such a loving, beautiful person. Always so humble, she was just genuinely kind and good. She was grateful for everything anyone did for her and for what she had. She appreciated the simple things in life, especially her family. It didn't take much to make her happy - she was always content. Goodness I adored that woman. Side note: Don'tchya love Grandpa's little smirk and his farmer overalls? :)
This photo is of Grandma admiring her first great grandbaby, Ciara. She looks so proud. I can just hear her voice, "Oh Jame, she's cuuuute." :) She was the best Grandma ever... if you look up the word "Grandmother" in the dictionary, it would say "see also - Anna Mary Fisher". She was the epitomy of Granny. She would take her grandbabies in at a moment's notice. I still remember being hauled to the farm at what seemed like the middle of the night in my little flowered night gown because Mom was goin' to the hospital to deliver my brother. I never ever minded being babysat by Grandma. She always had some kind of remedy for your sickness too. If I said I had a tummy ache, she would have me lay down on the couch, then she would put a little white candle on a penny and set it on my belly button - then light it and place a juice glass over it. This formed a suction and always seemed to make tummies feel better somehow. I'm guessing that the cure was possibly psychological? :)This was taken of my precious gramps and granny at their 60th wedding anniversary. Who would have thought that only a few short years later we would have to say goodbye? The strangest thing is that her death was ultimately caused by complications from a knee surgery. The knee became infected and a surgery was done to remove the infection. She came out of that surgery with a bowel obstruction. Doctors thought that she was too weak to endure another surgery to remove the obstruction, but it had to be done. Then it happened, the organs began to fail. It was just the saddest thing ever. She was in the hospital for less than 2 weeks before her family witnessed her last breath. That was definitely one of the hardest things I've ever experienced, but after watching her suffer for days, I was grateful that the Lord spared her. Ciara was upset that I wouldn't let her go into the ICU room to see Grandma before she passed away, but I didn't want the kids to remember her the way she was in that hospital room with all the tubes and equipment. It was heartbreaking to see. I choose to remember that smile I talked about earlier... the smile I saw when Grandma came around the corner from the kitchen with a dish towel in her hand and greeted me with a hug. She was always so warm and welcoming - always happy to see her family that meant so much to her. I love to remember how she would laugh at Luke when he was being goofy, how she exclaimed that "the potatoes were a little undercooked" when she ate chinese food for the first time and tasted waterchestnuts. But most of all I love to remember how she loved on me and my brother and cousins, and then later... my own babies. She is everything a Grandma should be and I'm grateful that I had her in my life for 30 years to model how to be a wonderful wife, mother and grandmother.
I love you Granny... and I can't wait to see you again one day when we meet in heaven! :)


10 comments:
What wonderful memories of your Grandma! Thank you for sharing them. I always comment on how much I love looking at the photos. Photos tell so much about a person and their life. I love the pictures of your Grandma, you can tell my looking at her face what a good woman she was.
What wonderful memories of your Grandma. I really miss mine too. She was a woman who loved teaching us to dance up and down the narrow passage in her caravan during the summer, who let us bake jam tarts, and ate them, even when the pastry was black from us over playing with it! Grandmas are something special aren't they? I hope I make a good one eventually.
She sounds absolutely incredible. :) How sweet that you have so many wonderful memories with her. God has a way of putting the best people in our lives, doesn't He? I loved the part about her thinking the "potatoes were a little undercooked" when she tasted waterchestnuts! That's too cute! ^_^
Thanks for sharing your memories with us. Very very sweet. :)
Love ya,
--Abigail
Jami, you are just so real and so much fun! I am sure that you write just like you talk, cuz as I read I can see you in my mind telling me your story.
Your grandma looked so sweet. I never knew my grandmas, or my grandpas. But I sure loved my mom,...and John's folks. Each of them are gone now,...and how I miss them. And my sister too, who just passed away on Jan.16th. But praise God memories live on in our hearts and minds!
I read your story called Winter Blahs or Bummed Out? And I have had those too. I am ready for Spring. (Even though spring always brings me allergies!)
Life is full of challenges,...like letting your kids grow up. I want to encourage you that it only gets better and better when they graduate, and marry and have babies of their own,...which means you will get to be a grandma,...and then you can do the things that made your grandma so special to you!
Love you
Linda!
Special memories of your grandmother. Thanks for sharing. :)
Sounds exactly like Grandma Fisher. I remember going down to their house for lunch or them coming up to Colleen's (this was before I had a real job and I got to spend time with Colleen). I remember Colleen teaching me how to make pie crust and she said it was Anna Mary's recipe. I wrote it down but have not used it yet. I did see Anna Mary in the hospital and you know, until I saw these pictures, that is how I remembered her. I think that's why I never wanted to see my Grandma when she was sick, because I didn't want to remember her that way. I definately do not regret it either! Makes me miss all my grandparents now (I just have my Grandma Ehrlich left).
What a blessing to have such a sweet and loving Grandma. She must have been a truly beautiful woman to leave such a big impact on your life. Love is beautiful.
Hhhmmm... what a woman! She certainly did a wonderful job teaching her 'Jame' how to cook! You came from some very solid bloodlines my fair lady. Proverbs 31 comes immediately to mind when I think of you and our sweet Grandma "Disher" (Ciara had a hard time pronouncing her "f's" when she was young). Love you baby and love the memories.
Jami, that was such a beautiful post about your Grandma! What a lovely lady. She sounds alot like my MeMe, and what I imagine my Mom would've been like had she lived to see her grandkids grow up. What precious memories. The part about the water chestnuts is hilarious!
Precious memories of a wonderful woman. The photos do show her joy! My grandma made the cinnamon pie crusts for me, too, when she was baking pies! What memories. See you next week on WW.
Post a Comment