Monday, April 13, 2009

The same dream...

Lately I haven't been dreaming all that much at night, but last night I did, and had the same familiar dream that I've been having off and on for the last umpteen years. It's the kind of dream that leaves you feeling confused. I'm not sure how many times this same dream has frequented my sleep... but each time, I wake up wondering why I am dreaming this and why I keep dreaming it again and again.

I graduated in 1988, so.... yeah, it's been a looooong time since I've been a high school student. I loved high school, those were some of the best years of my life, but I've got to admit, I'm really glad that I've graduated and moved on in life. Yet... I keep having this same dream over and over. In the dream, I'm in high school and I'm wandering the halls looking for my class, only I don't know where to go because I don't have a class schedule. I don't know if this is the first day of school, the first day of a new semester... I have no idea, but I keep going into different class rooms and hoping that that's where I'm supposed to be, only to find out that I'm in the wrong class, or that I've missed the class several times and am very behind in my work or don't have the books I need, etc. So I somehow find the office, many times asking other students for directions - then ask the secretary for another copy of my class schedule - but to my dismay, I have no idea where the clasrooms are. If this weren't frustrating enough... sometimes in the dream I can't find my locker.

Either I don't know what my locker number is, or I know the number, but am just roaming the halls over and over looking for it and can't find it, or I finally find my locker, but then I struggle with the combination or I've forgotten the numbers so I can't get into it and the bell rings and I'm gonna be late for class. I've also dreamed that I didn't know we were having a test and I show up unprepared because I haven't studied. In my dream... I'm frantic, when I wake up... I'm exhausted and confused.

I can't imagine why I would have this dream over and over. It's probably been more than a year since I've had "the high school dream" - but I think it has to mean SOMETHING. All I can figure out is that maybe I'm confused about the direction my life is going, for real... or... ??? I just don't know. I did a search on this subject and it turns out that many others have had this same type of dream. One website said that dreaming about not being able to find your class represents lack of guidance in your life. It said that dreaming about not being prepared for tests represents the stress and pressure in your life. Hmm.... Not sure if the person that gave this insight knows what they're talking about or not, but I guess I can kinda buy into that.

Coincidentally, I am seeking God's guidance on some important matters right now, and I have found myself feeling a bit stressed and anxious at times, - but I'm not fearful or frantic. I know that God has a plan for my life and he will reveal that to me in HIS time. I trust him completely, he has proven himself faithful time and again. I do find it interesting that yesterday the pastor preached on "a new direction". "Forgetting what's behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal." (Phil. 3:13-14) I think that is so fitting for what I'm going through now. I can't say much more about it right now, but promise I will share more just as soon as I can.

Funny how God speaks to us through the word and other people, maybe even through dreams. Maybe the high school dream was a reminder that I don't have to KNOW the schedule, it's ok to search and seek. (I already know that God knows the plans he has for me, to prosper and not to harm me, to give me hope and a future. Jer. 29:11) Then today I read something in psalms that really spoke to my heart and encouraged me, "May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. We will shout for joy when you are victorious, and will lift up our banners in the name of our God." (Psalm 20:4-5)

I am seeking God's direction and asking him to give me the desire of my heart, trusting that it is the plan he has for me as well. When this time has passed... I truly believe that I'll be lifting up banners in the name of God and giving him all the glory for what he has accomplished, shouting for joy at what my God has done. :)

3 comments:

Kristin said...

OMG Jami! You are not going to believe this, but I have that same dream all the time too! Only I'm at college, but I'm always frantically searching for my class, or anxious because it's the end of the semester and I haven't gone to class all year and I'm going to fail the class, only I can't find the classroom, or I get lost in the building. I don't know what it means either, but I have it all the time. It was so weird because when I read the title to your post, I instantly thought of my dream I have and then when I was reading your post, I was like No Way!

I don't know why I dream that....I graduated college at the top of my class....it's not like I failed or ever missed class or forgot about important assignments. I think if it means I'm seeking direction in my life, that is so true. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my business and with church and with my whole life....like what's my purpose.

I hope your plans all work out and that He does give you the desires of your heart!

Kristin

Unknown said...

Okay, here's another one that has had that dream. I've dreamed it many many times. Same thing - many different variations. I'm looking for my class - sometimes it all of the sudden dawns on me that I have a class that I forgot to go to all semester! Sometimes I think, Oh yeah, I'm in the right class and then it dawns on me that I don't know what I'm doing. I'm certainly going to get a failing grade.

I also search for my locker - most of the time I don't find it and I'm roaming through halls looking...knowing that I'm going to miss the class that I don't know I have! ha! It IS so strange and confusing! I do think I dream it at times when I'm uncertain/insecure about what's ahead.

I'll bet my kids will never dream it since they've never been public schooled! ha! But, I wonder what their version will be? There's probably a homeschooling version too! ha ha!!!

Well Jami, I will pray for you right now - that the Lord will give you clear direction and that he will bless you with peace as you follow his lead.

Love you my friend.
Lynnette

Linda said...

Jami, as I told you on Facebook the other day, I have this dream too,...and I am 58 years old!

I loved elementary school and had so much fun all of those years, but didn't like Jr. High or High School very much, because they were huge schools in Southern California, and I didn't feel at ease in those big schools.

I didn't fit in all the "clicks". We were poor and I didn't have things in common with most of the kids, as far as how they dressed, what they did for hobbies or sports, and most of them were so "worldly", and did things I knew were wrong. A lot of them drove their own cars in Highschool, and I didn't drive until I was 18, so I walked to school,...most of the time alone.

I loved my mom and my little brother, who was 3 years younger than me, and my married sister and her husband and kids and mostly did things with them and my church friends, neighbors, and family friends. I was shy, but not extremely when I knew people well.

I grew up without a dad, so I was insecure about guys and didn't trust them very much.

I never went to school dances, or very many football games etc.

I had a lot of sore throats/strep, and tummy problems, and headaches and missed a lot of school. Each time I would go back to school after missing for several days I would have these stressed out feelings.

I ate lunch with just a couple of girls and if they weren't there I would skip lunch, and just sit on a bench with my nose in a book.

I was happiest at home and church. I had lots of friends at church, but they didn't live near me, so they didn't go to my school.

I loved summers when school was out. If I could have homeschooled I would have loved it! But they didn't do that back then.

Once in Jr. High a girl beat me up for no reason.
(Are you crying for me yet?) All of this sounds so pitiful. But it is true.

I did well with my grades, but couldn't wait to get out of school.

I had a wonderful childhood and my stories on my blog tell of really happy and carefree times. But, most of those times were times outside of school,...or from my elementary school days..

Each year and each time we had schedule changes I had a hard time finding classes in the giant schools. And my locker wasn't always close enough so sometimes I had to carry a ton of books!

Also, we had locker partners and it was hard to find stuff in the crowded lockers quickly and get to the next class on time in the crowded halls,...we had to rush, rush, rush and that made me nervous.

I had several mean teachers, and they played favorites to the more well-to do students. And this was such a contrast to the great elementary teachers that I knew all through Kindergarten to 6th grade. I was a "somebody" in that school, and a "nobody" in the other schools.

So, you can see why I have those kinds of dreams. I am a happy adult and always loved being a wife and a mom and have had many rewarding adult friendships.

But my teen years were not all that great. At least the part that was connected to school.

Kids can be cruel when you look different, or are different because you don't do the same things.

Ok, there ya have it. My sad tale! But the Lord was always good to me and I felt His love even before I was truly a Christian. And I had a wonderful mom,...(handicapped after the loss of her arm in a car accident), but she was amazing! My sister was terrific to me,(she was 8 years older), and I adored my little brother and had great fun with him.

Our pator was so dear and caring to me. We were always at church, Sunday Mornings, Sunday nights, Weds., and all church social occassions. I thrived at church.

But nope,...the Jr. Hi, and Highschool years especially were tuff,...thus the nightmares!

So, I do think that's why I have those dreams.
Love,Linda