Welcome to the first edition of... "That darn little Yorkie Poo". This is where I share interesting/cute/fun/annoying things about my youngest child - the fuzzy 8 and a half pound one. Sugar, aka... Shoogie. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that little baby. :) She sure keeps life interesting around here. When I got Shoogs, my husband thought it was ridiculous. He said i was getting a little "fru fru" dog. WHATEVER! I like big dogs just fine, but I'm not gonna have one in the house... that's just not me. I wanted one that could sit on my lap and snuggle and watch TV. One that didn't cause you to need a second shower in a day because of their slobbery kisses. :) So... I got Sugar. There's stories about her here - if you're a dog lover and wanna read more, just check the archives. ("Baby in the house" and "Sugar Slideshow") I don't think Luke expected to love little miss fuzzy buns as much as he does... and coincidentally, she has deemed him as "favorite". I think she actually grieves for him when he's out of town on business... but that's when momma gets all the good snugglin'. When he's home, she's the "shoulder dog". That's what he calls her because this is what she does...
She makes it kinda hard to work sometimes, you see!?
So... anyway..... every night before bed, we let shoogs out to do her business. She likes to be fickle and stand on the top step or the patio acting like she has all the time in the world or like she wonders what she's supposed to be doing out there, so we sometimes have to coax her to get the job done. If you don't let her out before bed... she'll get you up at a ridiculous time to go outside. You know she needs to go when she gets up from her slumber, shakes herself (loudly and dramatically), then jumps off the bed. If you don't acknowledge her immediately and get up to go with her, she begins the growling process until you hear her and come let her out.
Well... last night Daddy let her out. He didn't watch to see if she "went" - so guess what?! 2:10 a.m. I am up with puppy letting her outside to potty. GRR. We got back to bed and it wasn't long and she began this low growl, half barking thing. I assured her that everything was fine and tried to get her to snuggle up and go back to sleep. She kept this up for several minutes. I couldn't sleep with her carrying on like that - so I decided to unplug the nightlight in the bathroom thinking maybe she was seeing a shadow or something. Nope. She still kept it up. Then I heard it. COYOTES. A whole pack of them howling to their heart's content. We live in the country, so this isn't unheard of, but I'm pretty sure I've never heard so many howling at once. Sometimes they get a little too close to the house for my comfort - we've had them in our back acre before. *shiver*. Scary!!
I knew that Sugar's sensitive little ears were hearing this at an octave that I couldn't even fathom, poor little thing... so if I wanted to settle her down and get some sleep, I'd have to find a way to keep her from hearing the coyote choir. I went and got the little sound machine and turned on some ocean wave sounds. Amazing... it worked! So Sugar went back to sleep rather quickly, but then I layed there for probably close to half an hour thinking about those crashing waves, what they looked like... how loud they would be if I were standing in them... I pictured the sea gulls I was hearing swooping down on the beach... Oh dear! Now I was awake. I switched the soothing sound to rainfall and that did help. I was asleep in no time and finally got some rest. I am tired though today. Usually puppy sleeps all night and has for quite some time, but that "darn little Yorkie Poo" - she had me up last night. It was just me, her and the coyotes. :)

2 comments:
This post is so funny. You write like you talk I'm sure.
The picture of Luke asleep in the chair with the "shoulder dog", is hilarious!
The noise machine cracked me up. Boy, you really do baby your dogs!
But the funny part was that after the dog went to sleep you couldn't sleep!
Ok, well I guess I will close.
Love you,
Linda
The doggie all sprawled out asleep was cracking me up! Cute little shoogie!!
Post a Comment