Well, our new 16 year old German daughter from Rostock Germany arrived by plane today in Wichita, Kansas at 10:10 a.m. She is a delightful, beautiful girl. We are so excited that she's finally here. Her accent is fabulous! I think that it'll take a little getting used to when it comes to our weird family, but so far she is tolerating us fairly well. :) She has had a long day as she was up at 4 a.m. to get ready for her flight from Chicago, where she attended a Nacel foreign exchange student orientation to prepare her as much as possible for the experience. :) Are you ever really prepared to leave your family for nearly a year when you are only 16 years old? She must be a very strong girl. She did get teary eyed when she spoke to her "pa pa" on the phone to let him know she had arrived safely. I wanted to just go hug her, but I'm trying not to be too much myself for a day or 2 until she gets to know us better. So far we are understanding her for the most part. There are a few things she tries to tell us and isn't sure how to put it into words, but we are getting along fine. She is just a doll and I can't wait for all of you to meet her!
Like a idiot I took a charged digital camera with no memory stick in it to the airport. ha ha. Why do I do these things??? Lucky for us though, we had a blank tape in so that we could record video - then Luke went to the gift shop and bought a disposable camera. Once I get those photos developed and put on a CD I'll post pictures from her arrival, but until then I am posting a photo of her with a friend on the beach where she lives. It's a beautiful place. She lives near the Baltic Sea. She is the blonde haired girl on the right side of the photo. Isn't she cute?!
The Hespe family will likely meet her at Thanksgiving if they are in Springview... otherwise, not sure when. My family will probably meet her at a family wedding that is coming up in September, unless we bump into them sooner. She is very excited about school in the USA and we are going to get her enrolled for school, choose her classes and buy some school supplies tomorrow. Should be fun!
I'll keep you posted on the excitement here.... but for now - I need some sleep!
Love n Hugs!

3 comments:
Oh Jamers...she is so cute. Yay. Tina come get some ham is adorable. I hope that she totally fits in to the Hespe clan. So you need to email me and fill me in on how you came to the "lets get an exchange student" conclution. Because I still haven't heard that story. Okay then. Okay.
She is beautiful. I am sure that she will fit in just fine. You have to be nearly brain dead to not. I am excited to meet her and of course ask lots of questions. I just can't imagine living your home for a year or even worse to let your daughter go for that long to who knows where and who house.
EEEEEKKKKKKK!!!
Very cute! I bet she'll be a lot of fun. Will she go out for volleyball...we hear she loves Volleyball? I'm sure she'll fit in fine with everyone in Ellis. Exchange Students always seem to. I have cousin's that live in Germany; they came to Kansas for a week or so one year (they were in USA for like 3 months). I know the town name but not how to spell it...something like Blaihach. I'll have to look it up sometime. I don't know their last name but they are probably in their 40s so even if she was from there she probably wouldn't know them. My last name is German, maybe she'll know how to say it! That would be cool.
Post a Comment