"The world is morally bankrupt, and the gold that redeems it from its bankruptcy is righteousness. And what is righteousness? Righteousness is holiness in longing. And holiness is a hunger for God's approval."
Calvin Miller
I just added this quote to my page this morning. I LOVE IT! It comes from the book "Conversations With Jesus" by Calvin Miller. I find his writing to be so refreshing and so touching. The book is written in the perspective of a person seeking Christ, and what Christ's response might be. It's just so different than any other devotional type book I've ever read. If you're looking to have a time with God each day but you don't have much time - I'd definitely recommend this book!
So... "the world is morally bankrupt" That is an understatement. It really is quite sickening to take a look around and see what people think is acceptable. I'm embarrassed to watch TV commercials with my kids sometimes! I mean, let's face it, Victoria doesn't have any secrets!! I think the lines of morality have been blurred so much that people don't know which side is which. Right and wrong is relative? It's different for you, it's different for me.... Where do people get these kinds of ideas? Even non-believers have a certain level of morality - knowing right from wrong. One would think then that believers should be held to even a higher standard of morality. I admit, in an effort to survive in this world, I find myself struggling to know how far is too far. I feel bombarded by the world and its ideas about what is O.K. or not O.K. One thing is for certain, that straight and narrow path that leads to eternity is so much harder than the smooth, paved, wide one that most travel to nowhere.
I think many measure themselves against the world's standard and not God's standard. What a difference it would make if we would compare ourselves to Christ instead of those around us. Jesus is the standard. That's convicting, huh? When's the last time we hungered for GOD'S approval? Holiness ~ hungering for God's approval...that's what I long for. That's what I need. That's what He wants from me.
Birth Story
14 years ago
1 comments:
Deep Thoughts from Jami...
~Aub
Post a Comment