So my Mom had to have surgery on her wrist yesterday. She has a condition that is spelled so weird I'll never get it right... so I'll just tell you that she had calcium type deposits on the tendons in her left wrist - every time she'd move her hand or fingers just a certain way, these sharp "daggers" would stab her flesh, nerves, vains, whatever! Geesh, I felt so sorry for her. She did have a cortisone shot a while back and it helped... but it only lasted 2 months or so and the pain was back. She said the shot was really painful, and she just wanted to have it fixed permanently. Don't blame her. She was very nervous because she had heard some not so pleasant things about her surgeon, but after learning that he was a Harvard Med School grad, I told her that he can't be too big of a dummy. :)
She went into surgery at 10:43 a.m. and by 11:30ish - my dad, my grandpa and I were called back into recovery. Everything went smoothly and surgery was successful. The surgeon said it was much needed and defintely worthwhile and that he didn't know how she could tolerate the pain as long as she did. We got back there and she was smiling and doing great! I was stunned and amazed at how good she looked. She was sitting up drinking iced tea and getting ready for crackers. WOW! Of course she hadn't eaten in lots of hours and I was feeling all sorry for her with her wrist and hand all wrapped up and I wanted to do somethign to help, so I offered to bring over supper for her and Dad. Turns out they preferred to keep it simple and just eat left over spaghetti, so I said I'd make green bean and dumpling soup (a family favorite!) and bring it for lunch today. Then when I went to check on her last nite she said, "hey... you're busy with work, so Dad and I will have a sandwich for lunch and we can do the green bean soup for supper." This sounded like a good plan - so that's what we settled on. She just called me a little bit ago and told me that we need to push the soup off another day because her dad (my Grandpa Fisher, who is 84 years old) is making her chicken noodle soup and will be bringing it over for supper.
Isn't that the cutest thing ever!!?? This old rascal is making home made soup for his daughter. Now this is something that Grandma would have totally done if she were still here. I dont' know... but for some reason this just really blessed my heart and made me smile and I just wanted to brag about what an awesome dad my Grandpa is to my Mom today as she recovers from her surgery. I love "YAY" moments like these. You GO Grandpa! :)
Birth Story
14 years ago
2 comments:
Grandpa rocks. I love it and praying for your mom.
That is sweet. I need to learn how to make Chicken Noodle Soup. I love homemade chicken noodle soup. I really want to make Grean Bean Dumpling soup too. You will have to send me your recipes for those so I can try them this winter. Then I will have you and Ciara come test out the White Chicken Chili too. I'm impressed that Grandpa Fisher knows how to make chicken noodle soup and I don't.
Post a Comment