All day I've pondered what I'd write for today's memory, I kept comin' up dry. Well... tonight at my women's bible study we had to think up some stuff for the "ice breaker". One thing we had to share was a favorite memory. Then it came to me... I would write about my baptism. I think it's a pretty great story. My "salvation process" is far too long a story, (maybe save that for another time) so I'll begin with baptism. Through a turn of events my husband, I and our 7 year old daughter at the time all came to Christ and knew that our next step of obedience was baptism. I wasn't embarrassed about my decision to become a believer in Christ, but the thought of going into the baptismal and getting dunked in front of the entire congregation petrified me! Seriously, all those people would see me with wet hair and mascara dripping down to my chin. I was just entirely too nervous... but I would be baptised. I decided that if Jesus was baptised in the River Jordan, I could be baptised in a similar body of water as well.
It was 1998. We lived in Newton, Kansas at the time and Harvey County East Lake was just around the corner about 10 miles. So... we made the decision to be baptised there, all 3 of us. It would take place after the Sunday service and we and whoever else wanted to trek out to the lake would witness this blessed event. We pulled up to the beach area with about 12-15 cars trailing behind in procession. We made quite a spectacle... especially with what happened next. We got out of our vehicle and began to put on our white, zip up baptismal robes - ya know... "wash me and I will be whiter than snow" - the robe symbolized the purity of baptism and all that it stands for. Once we were in our proper attire we proceeded down to the beach. WHOA! There were some young women sunbathing in their string bikinis. Oh geesh... seemed a bit... um.... uncomfortable. I bet they were wondering what on earth was happening. They were sipping drinks and soaking up the sun and here come all these people, and "what's with the robes?!" ha ha. Comical don'tchya think?
It was October 11th and a as far as the weather was concerned... we were cuttin' it pretty close to be climbin' in the chilly waters to be baptised - but we were determined that we would do it before the temperatures began dropping even more as we neared late fall. It was clearly a pretty nice day, as evidenced by the sunbathers, but that water was COLD! Luke went first. He waded out to Brother Pat and was immersed. He came up smiling... and shivering. I was next... I waded out and brr.... it was colder than I had imagined, but I toughed it up - I was so excited it didn't matter. Brother Pat dunked me and I came up smilin'. Then was Ciara's turn... being 7 years old she was a bit more expressive than we were about the water temperature, but she did great. She held her nose and went under... as Brother Pat pulled her back up out of the water and exclaimed "raised in the newness of life"... a tiny little fish jumped right in front of her. It was the sweetest thing ever. All of our friends were cheering and hugging us, even though we were wet and cold, then everyone broke out into song, " I have decided to follow Jesus... no turning back... no turning back." It was a beautiful expression of our faith and obedience to God.
Birth Story
14 years ago

9 comments:
That's an awesome story! I imagine it was quite a sight to see you all walking toward the lake in your white robes. Hey, you never know how that might have changed someone elses life that day who witnessed it.
A beautiful story...
Funny stuff!
Oh Jami, I remember hearing this story - but it never loses it's sparkle. :) I love it!
It's wonderful when a person gets saved and baptised but part of what makes your story so beautiful and unique is that 3 of you were getting baptised together. Such a beautiful picture.
I totally agree with the lake (outdoor body of water) baptism. Seems so much more 'natural'. I know it doesn't really matter, but there's just something so strange about filling up a tub and going in. ha! And what a cool witness to those around you. They may have just thought you were strange then, but someday they may wonder and remember - you know?
Thanks for sharing this story. I enjoyed hearing it once again.
Love ya.
Lynnette
What a great memory! I'm sure it was an amazing thing to be baptized in a lake...with the fish...how cool! Those poor sunbathers...how funny!
My husband and I were baptized in a small lake, the day was cool and the water was COLD, but I was so happy to be baptized. I was expecting baby #2 and I'm sure the baby was wondering about the drop in temperature, at least baby was really moving. :) Thanks for sharing your story!
Aw, such a sweet story! I think it's great that you all were able to be baptized together. :) It sounds like something your family will always remember--how awesome!
Hey, a trip to New York sounds incredible...I'm game! When do we leave? heehee. ^_^ We really do all need to get together--definitely get in touch next time you plan a trip into town and we'll figure something out. I miss you guys!
Love ya,
--Abigail
I thought you were going to say that you got baptized in a bikini...I was going to be so impressed!!!
It was an honor sharing the blessing of that day with you! "I have decided to follow Jesus" never sounded so good as it was being sung that day by a 'herd' of So Baps on the banks of the stinky muddy Jordan (east lake). And I'm almost certain the poor little bikini clad ladies on the bank thought all the way home about what they'd seen :)
Post a Comment