Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lilacs & Granny


What a beautiful morning! It rained last night, and looking out the front door, the grass is finally greening up, the bushes are bright and blooming... the air smells like fresh rain and earth, I LOVE IT! Our lilacs began blooming over the weekend and Ciara went out and picked some to put in a vase on the counter. They're sitting in front of me - purple and fragrant. It's got me remembering my Granny Fisher, and I miss her. :( She always loved lilacs. Her sidewalk in front of the house was lined with lilac bushes, the same sidewalk that was my front sidewalk when we lived on their property in a mobile home, just next door. I remember as a little girl coming out the front door and what's the first thing I see? Lilacs. Me and my cousins would run wild at dusk and catch "lightening bugs" (fireflies), play hide and seek, carnival and "graveyard". We made mud pies using the "goodies" out of the trash barrells. you'd be surprised the good stuff that you could find in there to make a mud pie. Used grease, coffee grounds, a little bit of Tang in the bottom of the jar. Oh it was such fun! Great memories. But the lilacs make me feel happy, as I remember Grandma and how she loved us kids. The walks down the chalk road to pick mulberries for a pie we would bake together, how she took us to the creek to go fishing and never even yelled at us when our line wound up in the tree instead of the water. She was a wonderful Grandmother, everything I want to be when I'm a grandma one day. I'm so grateful for the example that she was to me and I think of her often and miss her. I miss her pies and cooking, spending time with her, but most of all I miss her smile - the one she got when she was with her family. Family was everything to Grandma and I'm just so glad that I had the opportunity to know her and learn from her what it means to be a Mom and a Grandma.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was little there was a house on the corner and we would pick here lilacs on the way to and from school and smell them the whole way to/from...then one day my mom walked with us and was like "What are you doing?!" When my sister and I plucked her bushes for her purple flowers...and we told her in our little girl voices that we were smelling the flowers. She told us it was stealing. I know that it was...but I can't help but think that somehow that lady knew that we were doing it and she waited for the two toe-head girls to walk past her house everyday to smell her yummy trees. Funny, those things that you remember. Or rather, how you remember...-Kristi

Heather said...

Lilacs are one of my favorite flowers. I love the smell that they emit. It feels and smells so springy when lilac bloom. I have one bush but it is so old it doesn't bloom very well anymore.

Anonymous said...

I love lilacs. Those are so pretty! I can't wait for my flowers to start growing. I have peonies and some type of Iris. I also bought some Shasta Daisy seeds, some Sweet Pea seeds and some Poppy seeds so we'll see once I plant those if any of them "work".

Lianne said...

I love lilacs too. We have a few ailing bushes behind our house...and the flowers have taken a bit of a beating with hail the last couple weeks. But...when it was warm, I loved getting up in the morning, opening the sliding glass door, and letting the fragrance drift in. I'm hoping by the time it gets warm again, the flowers will still be a aromatic. :) How are you? :)