Friday, May 2, 2008

Where we've spent the day.....


Our day began at 5 a.m. when we got up and began to get ourselves ready for what was sure to be an exciting day. :) Luke has been dreading his second surgery, but finally the day has come. We checked in at 6:30 a.m., he was taken to O.R. at 7:50 a.m. and finally at 8:20 his surgery began. The surgeon found me around 9:15 or 9:20 and told me that the surgery went well. Apparently once he got into the leg he saw that there were SOME signs of healing, but not much, also the fibula had began to shift towards the tibia. He said we definitely made the right choice in having the surgery, now the bone is completely straight and should provide good stability. He is supposed to walk on it and bear as much weight as possible and only use crutches as necessary. The surgeon showed me a photo of the work that's been done on his leg. Luke says now he's "like the bionic man". ha ha. I'll have to scan it in later and post it so you can see what he's been through. He put in a metal plate and 6 screws to hold the fibula together. The nurse also told me that the surgeon used some form of putty to help hold the bone together while it heals now. Weird. I had never heard of such thing. Whatever it takes to get him totally well... I'm all for it.

We are in recovery now and have been for what seems like forever. He is doing well, has had some pain, but it's being controlled with percoset again. He was able to use the restroom and eat some italian ice, water and crackers without nausea. These are all good things, because if he has problems with any of this, he wouldn't be able to go home today. I'm not sure when we'll find out how soon he can go. He is sleeping well and getting some rest, so I'm just trying to be patient. He did walk with crutches to the bathroom, then was a little dizzy. They said that could be from anesthesia and/or the percoset.

Thank you all for your prayers and please keep them coming for a speedy recovery. I know it makes all the difference and means so much to me and Luke. We are praising God for a successful surgery! I'll update again once I have some news. :)

1 comments:

Marci M. said...

Oh, wow! Keep persevering! Hang in there, guys! May God bring swift and complete healing!