Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Masks


It's that time of year again, you can't walk through any store without witnessing the displays of masks and costumes. The kids have a costume dance at school again this year on the 31st, so we are trying to figure out what they will "be". Brandon's plan was to be Phantom of the Opera, and Ciara was going to be a geisha. When we got to Around the World today (a costume and hobby shop) we instantly went to the photo books to see if we could find what we were looking for. Well... we didn't have much luck so began to contemplate plan B - which ended up being some cool viking hats we found on the top shelf. Yes, you heard correctly - the viking siblings will be attending the dance next friday. :)

I was in awe as we walked down the ailes looking at fake mustaches and beards, costume accessories, princess crowns, pirate hats.... there were so many things you could find there to alter your appearance, but the thing that really struck me, was all the MASKS. There were yoda masks, Obama masks, creepy masks and on and on. It occurs to me that even though these masks were created for the purpose of allowing some to "be someone else" for a day... so many of us wear masks EVERY day.

Ciara and I have had this conversation. Why do we metaphorically "wear masks" hiding who we really are? The mask we wear usually depends on who we are with at the time, it would seem that the masks change for the occasion. I've even noticed that about myself at times, when I worry that someone will not like ME for ME - I put on the mask that I think they'd be most comfortable with me in. I hate that about myself. I'm envious of my friend, Kristi - she is real every day. Every day she is Kristi. There is no guess work because she is herself all the time. She is humble and it humbles me. At any given time I can go to her blog and read about her shortcomings. She is forthright and broken about them. She doesn't wear masks... I wish I didn't.

My friend Lynnette just wrote on the subject on her blog over at Dancing Barefoot -

"What is it that makes people hide who they really are? Is it that we aren’t happy with ourselves? Not usually. I think it’s because we want others to think we’re perfect"

How could that be more true? We never want to look like a failure to those around us, especially to those that we esteem highly or want to impress. We want to appear as if we really have our act together and that we never mess up, when in truth... I forget things, I'm occasionally late, I sometimes leave clothese on the floor in my bedroom - the list goes on! I guess it is a pride issue then, we are too proud to admit that we are human and make mistakes just like the rest of the world. We can strive for perfection, but perfection is impossible - we are made perfect ONLY in Christ, through his free gift of grace. So why do we wear these masks? I pray that God would help me to be real every day and for those around me to love me for Me... not me in the mask.

P.S. Name that mask! I'll give you a hint, he changed his "mask" permanently by bleaching his skin and having lots of plastic surgery, most obviously multiple nosejobs. :)It's ok... go ahead and laugh, I did... when I saw it on the shelf at the store.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, you joined our blogging discussion!!! Yay!!! :)

I can't believe that you leave clothes on the floor! You do realize that that's an indicatino that you don't have ..........TIME TO DO EVERYTHING!

You should see my house on a daily basis. I think it forgot what clean feels like! It's crazy being AT home all day with 6 kids. Harrison drags stuff everywhere...Silas and Jonas have tinker toys and lincoln logs everywhere....laundry is never caught up... No, I'm not perfect either - darn it!

Yes, it's true, these masks we wear are ridiculous! We'd be so much prettier if we'd just take them off because you can always tell it's a mask. Masks never fool anybody! Masks look, well....fake!

Thanks for sharing. Oh and by the way, you have always seemed very genuine to me. So, you're either being too hard on yourself or your mask was very realistic! ha!

Love ya Jamie!
Lynnette

Unknown said...

I had to laugh at the way I spelled indication - indicatino. It almost looks intelligent, like I speak two languages, but NO, it's just that my fingers were going faster than my brain! :)

Jamimania said...

ha ha... I wondered what indicatino was, I thought "hmm, just another imperfection,I don't even know what indicatino means! That's funny, and thank you for your kind words about me being genuine, that's what I strive for, just not sure I always accomplish it. :) I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one that LIVES in my house. I prefer to call it "lived in" as opposed to messy. I bet your boys are pleased as pigs in mud with all those fun toys scattered about to play with! :)