There's always a lot of "discussion" about thermostats at our house. My husband who loves 100 degree weather in the summer doesn't see why the AC should be set below 78 - afterall... that's the recommended temperature give by the power companies. The problem with our thermostat is that it can be 1 degree off. For example, if it's set on 77 it may be 78 in our home. Ok... 78 is entirely TOO HOT. Yes, 1 degree DOES make a difference. We've repeatedly had this conversation. 76 is the magic number for me. 75 is too cool and 77 is too warm. Some would argue, but I guess I'm just one of those people that doesn't handle hot weather very well. If I must admit, then I will.... I'm spoiled. I was raised with air conditioning and I'm not about to start walking around smelling like a goat because our home is so miserably hot in the summer.
As you might imagine, I am LOVING this cooler fall weather. Now again, this presents an issue about the furnace. *smile* I have not run the heat yet... though it's beginning to get a little chilly in here for my taste. West Star Energy Co. suggests that heat be set no higher than 68 degrees. Here's what my thermostat looks like this morning:
As you can see, that's 1 degree below the RECOMMENDED temperature. ;) It's chilly in my house, but I definitely prefer it over the heat. Yesterday morning it was 31 degrees, we got our first freeze. I'm just not sure I'm ready for winter weather. I wanna capture Fall in a jar and keep it all year. Now when it's time to run the furnace, I will argue that we should keep it on 69 and darling husband will want it no higher than 67 or 68 and will go around telling people that "she wants to keep it on 75" NOT TRUE!! (He lies sometimes. ha ha) Maybe 67 would be ok for him because he's running a space heater in his office?!!! Ahhhh.... now it's starting to make sense here. Hm... wonder if that's energy efficient? *grin*
So lets address the real issue then. Men and women have different thermostats. I've been accused of several things... such as the "M" word. (whisper: "MENOPAUSE") But my doc says that's just not the case and he has tests to prove it. What I'm learning is that I'm not the only woman who has issues with her built in thermostat, in fact I've talked to several that describe the same situation as ours! Thank goodness I'm not alone in this battle. So... what's a poor girl to do? I can add clothes in the winter and live with that... but the summer situation isn't quite as simple. I can't seem to get few enough clothes on without offending our teenagers and any visitors that may happen to drop in - ie: the UPS or Fed Ex guy. ha ha.
So... I will press on with my argument for 69 in the winter and 76 in the summer. I really don't care what the power companies recommend, this is what MY thermostat needs. :)
Birth Story
14 years ago
3 comments:
It really makes you wonder about the whole "balance" of marriage doesn't it? I'm guessing your husband is a strapping large active lad who thrives on physical activity and is in extremely good physical condition. This type of personality is not as affected by temperature changes as some others might be... In his heightened physical condition he may be putting of some serious body heat in the winter, and may have the ability to "auto-cool" himself in the summer. Most hyper-cool fellas have the ability to do such things. Seek his wise counsel on where the thermostat needs to be, I'm sure he'll help you adjust to what's right:)
haha...I love you honey man!!(aka. "large strapping lad")It cracks me up that you're anonymous" ;)
I think we set ours at 68-70 in the winter and 78 in the summer. Of course I think RJ would like it to be below 78 in the summer but I'm always freezing. Not to mention, the lower it goes, the more our bills are! Hopefully we'll get something figured out with the A/C and Furnace soon. We have a few people coming on Friday so we'll see what they come up with.
Post a Comment