Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Beautiful to God

If you'd like to know more about Wednesday's Walk Down Memory Lane... click on the box above. All are welcome to join in the fun!


I had my walk down memory lane this morning as I ventured through old blog posts. I came across this post from last July, and marveled once again at God's unconditional love. I was sick yesterday and am still feeling kinda "mealy" today... so here I sit in sweats looking lovely as ever [;)] and just felt compelled to share this most valuable message of God's unconditional love, I've tweaked the post just a bit, adding a few more thoughts and re-wording others, but here goes:



Beautiful to God


This was the name of my bible study lesson this morning. I had an interesting time chewing on this one. The author gives this verse before the study even begins:"He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not." Isaiah 53:2-3 NIV

I find it interesting that scripture says Jesus wasn't beautiful in the eyes of man so that people would be drawn to him only by his spirit, not his physical beauty. I am so humbled by that. I want for people to be able to say, "Wow! She's a beautiful person" not because of what they see when they look at me, but because of the KIND of person I am. I want others to see a beautiful heart. I think before I became a Christian, I was of the attitude that physical appearance was vital and what others thought of me, the way I looked... was so important. That attitude was a sign of my immaturity and now I see it as vanity. Since I've been blessed with my 2 beautiful children, I've struggled with my weight and sometimes that bums me out. I'm not the skinny "girl" my husband married, but he still loves me and more importantly - the Lord loves me, just as I am. No conditions. The world is such a cruel place sometimes, so much importance is placed on physical beauty but the bible says "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7) Thanks for that God!! In a world full of "model-esque" skinny, large chested, blonde haired girls with orange tans - God says that I'm beautiful because he looks at my heart, not my physical appearance. Really what he thinks of me is all that matters when you get down to it - that sure takes a load off. I think trying to look your best is great, but obsessing about your looks or your size just to impress others is pointless. That's not to say that we shouldn't strive to be healthy... but I sometimes wonder why people are surprised that we have so many young women with eating disorders - when such an emphasis is placed on looking like celebrities or super models.

I get annoyed (down right indignant, actually) when I hear people put down others because of their size or especially their color. It may be hard to believe, but I actually know people that do this. Love a person for who they ARE, not what they LOOK LIKE. To look down on someone because of their race is just sick and wrong. I wanna scream to that person, "what makes you superior!!??" Surely not their "white" skin. I guess I would have to say that I believe God is color blind. He just doesn't care if we are green, white, black, red or fuschia. We are made perfect in Christ and he will love us regardless of all the imperfections that the world is so ready to list about us. Anyway... I get really fired up about the subject of discrimination and racism - but whenever I have the opportunity I share my 2 cents with the people I feel I can share it with, as for the others... I pray that I would muster up the courage one day to be bold and stand up to them and open up their eyes to the truth, and the truth is this: God loves us exactly the way we are. We don't have to change our hair, bleach our skin, get rid of our glasses, lose 20 pounds or even try to zap our zits, he loves us "as is." Afterall... he made us and "God doesn't make junk". He says that we are "fearfully and wonderfully made." (in HIS image - no less!)

I'm thankful for this reminder today, because it's always good to know that our worth should not be measured by the world, but by God. Afterall, he's not looking at my clothing size or what brand of shirt I'm wearing... he's looking at my heart. I can't begin to understand God's unconditional love, but I'm so thankful for it!! The author finished the study with this statement:

"I pray when we look in the mirror, we will learn to see what God sees and love who He loves."

Indeed! :) I just want you to know... YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!

10 comments:

jamers said...

Thank you so much for sharing this post. Touched me so much. Thanks!

Kristin said...

Jami,

Thank you so much for your sweet comment today on my blog! It meant the world to me and I'm so glad to have you as my friend. I just wanted to say that although we've never met in real life, I can tell that you ARE a beautiful person!!!

I loved this post. It's just been lately that I've been trying to think of it this way. I've been trying to realize that the things I don't like about myself (my shyness, the fact that I'm reserved)....those things God put in me for a reason! He made me look the way I do for a reason. I can look back on my life and realize that the people who most influenced me and who meant the most to me were not beauties in any traditional sense. They were beautiful people though! When I am tempted to be too shy because I think people are judging me or I'm not good enough, I try to remember that I am a genuine person, kind, and sincere. I cannot be everything to everyone, all I can be is myself, the way God made me. When you truly realize that, it is so freeing!!!

Thank you so much for your post....it was exactly what I needed to be reminded of today!

Kristin

Patricia said...

Thank you for sharing this post. I have been trying to lose weight recently and in spite of reducing my calories and taking daily walks, the scale keeps reading the same amount. I was almost in tears this morning. My kids keep saying I am fine the way I am and of course I know God loves me the way I am. So I will just focus on living healthy and let God take care of my weight. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I've been reading an excellent book on "shame" and how women especially put ourselves down - which means in turn we are cutting God down. Thank you for sharing what God is doing in your life. It was another poke from God through you! :)

Lolli (aka Lisa) said...

love your site, and will be following you. Blessings!

Lisa

Linda said...

Dear Jami, I just read your great post and I am shouting Amen!

You really write well and seem to be able to spill out your heart very easily. I can write much easier than I can speak. I am shy and have been since I was a child. One-on-one I am ok, but in crowds I shrink like a "shrinking violet",..(whatever that means! ha!) But you get the idea.

I have been looking around at other blogs as I click around and surf, and the things people write about and much of it is not God Honoring. That is why I am thankful for this Weds. Walk group and all of the Chritian women here. I am especially gleaning from your insights. You are right on with this post today. We need to be secure in who we are in Christ. And we never should be prejudice for any reason.

You are so real, and I like you a lot. I love you a lot in Christ too.

I also love Kristin. Wasn't that an amazing post she wrote today? I praise God for all that He is doing in her life. And it is spilling out into our lives and really encouraging us!

Lynnette is an encourager. She sure did a good thing when she followed God's lead to do the Weds. Walk. I love all of these ladies!

Keep on keepin' on lovely lady. You are soooo cool!

Nettie's Mom,...(Sometimes I call her Nettie! ha!)

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits I

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

You are beautiful inside and out, sweet friend...Great post. I'm so glad the Lord looks at the "heart" and that we are not judged by the standards of this world...and it's warped opinion of what constitutes beauty. Thanks for sharing your BEAUTIFUL heart...BEAUTIFUL girl...

Bless you...

Kimberly Pitman said...

Outward beauty really is only skin deep. I'm glad God looks on the heart. And I'm glad my husband doesn't hold too tightly to the image of me from when we first married.

As for the racism part, I agree totally. Some of our best friends are an African American couple who are in the ministry just the same as we are. We love to go places together. We make quite a sight when we're out to eat holding hands around the table as we pray. I usually look up quickly after the "amen" just so I can see the startled looks on peoples' faces. :)

Jami said...

Thank you for the encouraging comments you've sent me lately! Yes, Kansas is quite a distance from here! We can have coffee online sometime...sound good? I really appreciate your honesty in your posts. To me, that IS beauty! God accepts us as we are. He is "enthralled" by our beauty! (Psalm 45:11) "God saw all that he had made, and it was very good." (Genesis 1:31) That means US!! We can become even more beautiful by being encouraging women to others, and allowing God to show us exactly what he sees when he looks at us....beauty! Thank you for showing us beauty today!!

Linda said...

Jami, I have an award for you on my blog. Go there and pick it up and then pick 10 of your favorite blogs that have an attitude of gratitude and pass it on to them. Link them back to me so I can meet them and they can meet me.
Thanks!
Linda