Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Precious Words

Boy, a week sure flies by, it's that time again... Wednesday's Walk Down Memory Lane. If you'd like to join in the fun... simply click on the button above for more instructions!


Mommy... HELP! These are the precious words I've been hearing for years and years in some form or another. In the photo below, Ciara must have been between 2 and 3 years old. She had a sweet, squeaky little voice that melted my heart. I was going about my business one day... tidying up the house, taking care of baby Brandon (who will soon be 15!) or whatever it was I had going on that day in our home, I don't quite remember, but I do remember hearing that little voice belt across the house, "Mommy!! Help, Mommy!" She was frantic and of course I went running to see what tragedy lurked in her bedroom. When I came through the door this is what I saw:


Apparently she thought it would be a good idea to crawl into her little dresser drawer, but then had gotten herself stuck. Being the wonderful mother I am, I didn't want to miss such a fantastic photo opportunity so I quick grabbed the camera and giggled as I snapped this most memorable shot. :) In my defense, she wasn't in any REAL danger. Of course I rescued her promptly and showered her with hugs, then advised her not to crawl into the drawers again. I was her hero that day.

Since the drawer incident I've "rescued" my little angel many times, both physically and emotionally. We are not just mother and daughter, we are friends... close. I'm so glad that she feels like I am someone she can cry out to - "Mommy... help!" I always want to be there when she falls, when she finds herself in a tight spot, when she just needs to know that someone loves her unconditionally... no matter what she gets herself into. She is nearly grown and will be on her own all too soon now and it would seem that she is looking to be rescued less and less by her mother I recognize that this is the natural progression of things. She's learning to look out for herself and I'm so proud of the woman she's become.

On May 16th, she will graduate from high school. I know that day will be bittersweet for me, even though I embrace this new season of life. I guess I just never want her to quit calling for me, because I need to be needed. Not in an unhealthy way... but in a momma way, and the truth is that she truly doesn't need me as much as she used to. As hard as that reality is for Moms to deal with, I know that's how it's supposed to be. The relationships don't end... a child's need for their mother, no matter the age, doesn't go away... it just changes. I've often found myself longing to go back in time to the days of potty training and teething. I don't know, it just seemed it would be easier to cope with than the challenge of raising teenagers - but the truth is I love it all... every crazy stage of life I go through with my kids. My observation is that the older they are the more difficult the challenges are, but it is also a true joy all at the same time. The time we spend with small children is so short that we MUST enjoy it while we can because in the snap of a finger they're all grown up and there are no "do overs".

I suppose one day my "little girl" will marry and have children of her own... I hope that she will still call out those precious words to me then as she always has... "Mom... help." I can't wait to be there for her through all the changes in her own life and as she raises her own babies. Wow... then I'll be called Grandma, and those are precious words too.

10 comments:

:) said...

Such sweet times.

I'm glad you and your daughter have a close relationship. She will be an awesome lady, mother, and wife because of the love you have shown her. :)

Becca said...

Awie! That is a precious memory!

The bond you share with your daughter sounds amazing. I really hope that I have that type of relationship with my daughters.

Unknown said...

Jami, your picture is cute and the story too, but you made me want to cry. Momma to momma, I understand. It's hard watching our kids grow up, but I just know that the Lord will be gracious to us and give us sweet peace as we face the future. It will be such a joy to watch our children succeed outside of our home. That will help in dealing with it, don't you think?

Jessica said...

This post is great. It reminds me of my mom and I and coming from the daughter side..there is no one else who understands us like our mom's. She is very lucky to have a great mom like you!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Oh...my heart is with you. It is so hard to watch our children grow up. And, as a mother of sons...the days of them no longer crying for help from mommy are quickly disappearing. I don't know if it's any consolation, but as a daughter, I do know this...A daughter never stops needing her mama.

Blessings to you...

Sally-Ann said...

Wonderful post. My little boy doesn't say "Help, Mummy, Help". He says, "Quick, Mummy, Quick!" When I hear those words, I know I had better take off running!

Linda said...

Jami,...my heart knows exactly what you are saying. I always say I like to be needed. Now that my girls are grown and their kids are growing up too,...I am still needed but just in completely different ways. They need me to pray for them daily. They need to be encouraged by me sometimes. They need me to laugh at the funny things they share with me on the phone. They need me to share my heart and my health needs so that they can pray for me and encourage me too. They need extra hands with the little kids sometimes when they invite us on vacations to amusement parks. But mostly they just need me to continue to love them and I need that from them too. I wish I could help more and see them more, but their lives are busy. This has been a nice time in my life to enjoy my husband again and to be needed by him. The kids always know we are here if they need us,...but it is kinda nice that they don't need us too often. (:>)

I'd say, just enjoy every stage,...and like you said,...when you do become a grandma someday,..enjoy every bit of it. Because they grow up quickly, just like the kids did.
Yes, this life is swift as the years pass by. But the greatest blessing is to know that those we love so much will spend eternity with us when we all go to heaven to be with our Lord Jesus.
And remember Jami,...the Lord is always in control,...and we can just rest in Him concerning our futures and the futures of our kiddos.
Lovem Linda

Abigail Kraft said...

Awww. :( You're gonna make me cry! As I grow older, I find myself wishing I could go back to childhood--not so much for myself, but I hate the feeling that someday my parents aren't going to have me right there all the time anymore. I always get sad when I hear parents talking about how they feel when their kids are pursuing their own lives. :( I'll always come back to my momma for help and support! I'll always need her, and even though it seems sad now, I know that my future will be exciting and a brand new adventure in which my momma will play a huge role. :)

Thanks for the sweet post!
Love ya,
--Abigail

Kristin said...

Jami,

I love her look in that picture....like, why are you taking my picture and not getting me out of here! LOL!! That had me giggling! We've had quite a few of those moments over here at my house too!

Trust me, coming from a girl who wishes she could have one more moment with her Mom, your daughter will always need you. She will always be calling out for you, and even when she isn't, just know that she isn't because you raised her well and she is taking the things she learned from you and putting them to use. I can imagine how hard this time is for you, as I know it was so hard on my mom to see me grow up, but there was never a time in my life that I didn't need my Mom. I still learn from her, even though she's no longer here with me.

What a beautiful relationship you have with Ciara. You have given her wings and now you get to sit back and watch her fly! And don't worry, she will return and she will always need you. That's what is so beautiful about the relationship between a Mother and Daughter!

I hear that there's nothing better than being a Grandma! Something special to look forward to one day!!

Have a great week!!
Kristin

Jami said...

I'm a "jamimaniac" too! I just happened across your blog, and it seems we have more than our names in common! Keep writing! It's a joy to read!