Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Snow Date

If you'd like to be a part of Wednesday's Walk ... just click on the photo above for instructions. You should do it... it's FUN!





"Us" working our mall jobs - 1989


Yup, this is us, back in the day - check out all the hair we had goin' on! It's true, we met at the mall. "Officially". I had SEEN Luke at the party of a friends and thought he was cute, but had no idea who he was. All I knew is that he was wearing sky blue high top converse tennies and he was CUTE! Right before we began dating he started his job next door to mine. I was a sales clerk at Maurices, my part time college job - and he worked at Kinney Shoes - it was his, "oops... I spent all my student loan money the first semester of college so now I need a job-job" Who'd have guessed that less than 2 years later after these pix were taken, he'd be my husband?! The young skater fella in the photo with Luke is my brother, Jarrod. He was just a youngster. :) So it begins... the story of Luke and Jami.


SNOW DATE


Our first date was on February 24, 1989 – 20 years ago! I can’t believe that much time has passed since my husband invited me to go sledding with him and his friend Chad, and Chad’s girlfriend Shelly (who also happened to be a friend of mine). We lived in Norfolk, Nebraska at the time and I was working at Maurices in the Mall selling women’s clothing. I was scheduled to work that day and Luke had come over and insisted that I HAD to go with them. I argued that I was scheduled to work, and being the bad influence he was *wink* he encouraged me to call in sick. Well, I didn’t want to be irresponsible, but I REALLY wanted to go and it was snowing and blustery that day. Knowing Mall business, there wouldn’t be too many people out and about. So I called my boss and she said not to bother coming in because business was dead. WAHOO! I got to go. I was really excited because this would be our first official date. We had been friends for a while and then there was the time that he drove me home and we talked in his car for 2 hours and then I invited him in and he stayed until about 3 a.m. just talking. Maybe we’re all talked out, because we don’t talk nearly as much any more. I guess after 20 years you probably know most everything about a person? Ha ha… but we would go sledding with our friends and life as we know it would never be the same.



We jumped in the back of Chad’s old car, I don’t remember what kind it was but I’m sure Luke does. It was about a 3 hour trip and we held hands on the way. It was sweet… being a college guy, he didn’t seem to be like the rest and I was glad to be in the company of a young man so considerate and sweet. (and CUTE!) We made snow angels, threw snow balls, built snow tunnels and then sledded through them. It was a blast. I knew already then that something was different… I felt like we had known each other forever. I still remember the ugly white, pointy toed, lace up ankle boots I was wearing, the fun we had, how he made me laugh, the way he looked at me and I felt like the only girl on the face of the planet. As a teenager girl I asked my mom so many times how to know if you’re truly in love. She would always say, “You’ll just KNOW”. I hated that answer because it didn’t make sense to me. But for the first time ever… only a short time after returning from our snow date… that answer made sense to me. I realized I couldn’t live my life without Luke Hespe. We knew after only a couple of months that we would spend our life together and we made it official when he proposed to me in July of 1989. (that’s right, only about 5 months after our snow date!) We were married the following April. No regrets. Our marriage has had its ups and downs, but mom was still right – YOU JUST KNOW.



Me and my man... 20 years later

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! A date in the snow. How lovely!! I had no clue you both worked in the same mall, or that your first date was in the snow!!! Kinda funny how dad was the one to advise you call in sick, i couldn't imagine him doin' that now (chortles)
Brandon

Sally-Ann said...

Yep, gotta love that 80s hair!! LOL
I loved your "first date" memory, thanks for sharing it!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, Hi Luke and Jami!! (I'm looking at your picture together as I'm typing this).

Seeing you together makes me wish we could all get together for a visit. I know Kyle would LOVE to see his buddy Luke - and Jami, these blog visits are great but it sure would be fun to have a face to face visit again - especially now that we've decided we know ourselves better. :)

Sounds like you had a fun first date in the snow. That would NOT be the best first date for me, because I hate playing in the snow. (Cold weather and I don't like each other very much - unless I'm inside by a fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa!).

Anonymous said...

Aahhh... hair, sweet sweet hair. Ohhh the memories :) 20 years ain't near enough with you woman! I look forward to another 60 at least. You are awesome, and I'm so glad the big haired woman and high top converse man has made the life they have (for His glory). Love you baby.

Kristin said...

AWWWWWW!!!! I love that story!!
I swear I had that same exact hairdo back then! LOL What an accomplishment it is this day and time to be together for that long! Our 10 year Anniversary will be this year and I can't believe it!

Becca said...

Awe! That is adorable! Congrats on 20 years!

Linda said...

Jami you write so well,...and I just love reading your stories.

You and Luke were cute way back then,....but I thinlk you are both even sweeter together now. (:>)

The Lord loves you and Luke and your kids and He is watching over you always.
Always trust Him!

Love, Linda

mjoseph said...

Ja! Big hair! Where were the glasses? Good story, and the fact that you still like him after you got to know him is heartwarming...